Dare to Dream
Star light. Star bright. First star I see tonight. I wish I may. I wish I might. Have the wish I wish for tonight.
Saturday, August 27, 2005
The Way Home
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyone should watch the Korean film, The Way Home, a simple story that touched on the relationship between 2 generation - 7 year old city boy (Sang-Woo) and his old and frail deaf-mute grandmother who lived in the rural part of Korea.
It's such a beautiful story that it made me cry.

Gist of movie:
7 year old spoilt brat was sent packing to stay with his grandma since his single mum was looking for a job in Seoul. While staying with his grandma, you could see Sang-Woo's snobbish and selfish ways as he called her dirty and stupid, pee on his grandma's only pair of shoes, stealing her hairpin and lots more only to be embraced by his grandma with so much love and affection.

So unconditional was her love that Sang-Woo gradually learnt to love his grandma.

One touching scene that made me go teary-eyed was when Sang-Woo was about to leave for Seoul and frantically trying to teach his grandma to write simple words so that they can exchange letters. Unfortunately grandma was too old to grasp the simple concept of writing and Sang-Woo simply told her to send him a blank letter if she was ill so that he can rush down to see her! Ain't that sweet coming from a 7 year old spoilt brat?! Aaawwwwww...

I'm sure everyone can relate to this movie and recall their own moments with their grandparents coz it did just that for me.

- I remembered those days as a litle girl, I would cry out loud every time my parents were about to leave for home. Being their fav grandchild, I always won and get to sleep over at my grandparents'. And staying over at my grandparents' also meant shopping trips where I can go buy ice-cream at the old Boon Lay Shopping Ctr or the mamak grocery shop! Besides that, my grandma will also buy me clothes which I can choose myself! Yeay!!!

- My grandparents brought me to umrah when I was 13. Actually I didn't want to go but since they're paying, so what the heck?! I truly enjoyed the shopping though, coz my grandma let me buy anything! She also bought me a ring there (coz last time... Golden Chance belum ada beb!)

- My grandparents bought me a pair of pretty diamond earrings for my birthday. You want to know why? Coz yours truly asked for it! Heeheheh!

- My grandparents willingly allowed themselves to be paraded and photographed around Geylang. That was for a print advertisement for some mosque building fund. My grandfather even had to take a day off just for that. They even allowed their humble abode to be turned into a photography studio for some print advertisement. So sweet right??!!

There were many other countless moments where my grandparents showered their unconditional love to me to a point that I almost stayed with them for good! But of course my dad didn't allow knowing that I would probably grow up to be a spoilt brat!

I want to visit my grandparents and maybe break fast with them come Ramadan. Silly me! I only realised how much I love them after watching The Way Home! But good also lah... better now than never right? Hehe!

Trivia:
Did you know that 78 year old Kim-Eul-Boon who acted as the grandmother, has never seen a film before appearing in The Way Home?

Oh btw, thanks Zulina for lending me the vcd.
I'm gonna watch it again before returning it to her this Tuesday ; )
posted by norhayati @ 11:26 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salam Yati, I love this show too. Every time I watch this show, it reminds me of my own grandmother who has passed away. I remember her smile, her kind words, her selflessness, her food!!! I remember would always buying us steam kachang each time she goes to Muar. I remember her making the bah chang. I remember her braised duck. I remember her mee suah. I miss her.

    Sam

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger norhayati said…

    Hey Sam... THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your own wonderful experience with your granny!

    Grannies are simply lovely aren't they?

    Hehe!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Audio
Silent All These Years (Tori Amos)
About Me
Name: norhayati
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Shoutbox!

Previous Post
Archives
Affiliates

Design One Studio

Powered by

BLOGGER