Dare to Dream
Star light. Star bright. First star I see tonight. I wish I may. I wish I might. Have the wish I wish for tonight.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Saving smart
Ever wondered how some people can simply scrimp and save?

Here's a few practical tips:
1) Avoid shopping centres at ALL cost when you're broke (Esp for Girls!).
Coz the moment you step into one, you'll start browsing and then the next moment, you'll start trying what you just browsed for and without realising it, you'll end up paying for it at the check-out counter!

2) Eat at home as much as possible.
Wonder if you people realise that dining outside is actually very costly especially if you dine out every single day. So why don't you "tapao" or bring your own home cooked food for lunch? I do that and trust me, I save a LOT!!!

3) Stay at home as much as possible coz this way, you wont spend money unnecessarily.
While at home, you can do stuff like watching HBO, surfing the internet, reading the papers, help your mum with the housework and be praised for it or simply sleep! However, if you're really itching to go out, go somewhere that is either free or cheap. For example, you can go and take a walk in the park or go to the library to read magazines or for those romantic souls out there, you can go to Sentosa with your significant other to watch the sunset!

4) The moment you receive your pay / allowance, pay your bills immediately!
Do not wait till the eleventh hour to pay your bills coz this way, the amount will snowball into a larger amount the next time you receive your bill (coz its 2 mths of bills combined into one now). Another good thing about paying your bills early is that the moment you see your bank account shrink, you'll start getting depressed and decide to curb your spending. This always works for me!

5) Buy stuff at cheap places.
Personally, there are some things which I cannot compromise and that is the brand of toiletries that I use. But unfortunately, the brand of toiletries that I am using are actually quite expensive so luckily for me, I stumbled into a shop at Jurong East that is called CK Department Store. They sell quite a range of toiletries. And I bought ALL of my toiletries there at a relatively lower price. Compare this for example. A bottle of Dove shower foam costs me $6 plus at NTUC Fairprice but I bought it at only $4.90 from CK Department Store! That is a saving of more than $1!

I am also a coffee lover but I will be killing myself if I were to drink at Starbucks every single week coz its damn expensive! So to compromise, I actually bought a box of Nescafe coffee that comes in 2 flavours -- mocha and hazelnut with froth. And trust me, they taste yummy! Even Feeza loves it! I bought it for $2.65 for a box of 6 sachets.... roughly about $0.45 for a cup of cuppa that tastes heavenly!

So you see people.... saving up is good but saving smart is better!
You don't have to scrimp and live like a miser but just spend your money wisely and always think before you spend!
posted by norhayati @ 12:20 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    another way to save $ .. dont buy ppl expensive gifts like mp3 players hahahahaha

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger norhayati said…

    hehehehheh!
    very rude indeed!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Audio
Silent All These Years (Tori Amos)
About Me
Name: norhayati
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Shoutbox!

Previous Post
Archives
Affiliates

Design One Studio

Powered by

BLOGGER